New Jersey Radon Certification Procedures
Business Certification - Initial Application
There are two types of radon business certification in New Jersey:
- Radon Measurement Business
- Radon Mitigation Business
Please review the New Jersey regulations for Certification of Radon Testers and Mitigators for certification requirements. Contact the Radon Program at (800) 648-0394 within New Jersey or (609) 984-5425 (from outside New Jersey) to obtain a New Jersey radon business certification application and further information.
Professional Certification - Initial Application
There are four types of radon professional certification in New Jersey:
||Initial Training Course
||Annual Continuing Education
Individuals who want to become a New Jersey certified radon professional must:
- Attend a National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP) course that is approved for New Jersey Certification. Go to NRPP to “New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Radon Certification Procedures” and choose an entry-level training course approved for New Jersey certification. Be sure to take the course for the correct certification type and hours as shown above.
- Review the study materials: for Measurement or Mitigation.
- Pass the NRPP-New Jersey Certification Examination for that certification category. Go to NRPP to “New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Radon Certification Procedures” and follow the “PSI Registration Instructions for New Jersey Exams” to take the exam at a location in New Jersey or surrounding states. Be sure to sign up for the NEW JERSEY exam and for the correct certification category as shown above.
- Obtain a letter from a certified business for which you will be a certified technician or specialist and submit it with the initial application. Contact a certified business that you will use to for their testing or mitigation services. The business will provide you with test devices, process your tests and issue the client reports for testing and will supervise installation activities for mitigation. Obtain a letter from the certified business to submit with the initial application. A professional may work with more than one business, but a letter is needed from each.
- Meet all requirements for the certification category. Review the New Jersey regulations for Certification of Radon Testers and Mitigators (N.J.A.C. 7:28-27) for the specific requirements of the certification category.
- Submit an initial New Jersey radon certification application. Fill out the entire application and follow all instructions provided. Ensure that all required documents, signatures, notarizations and fees are included.
Upon approval, an individual is issued a provisional certification to allow them to obtain 6 months of radon work experience. Between 6 and 7 months after initial provisional certification, the business with which the individual is affiliated must submit a letter to the Radon Section to document the individual's radon work experience. At that time the individual will become fully certified. The full certification will continue until 12 months after the date of initial provisional certification. A renewal application must be submitted 30 days or more prior to the expiration date.
Annual Certification Renewal
Annual New Jersey certification renewal is required for businesses and professionals.
- A pre-printed version of the application will be sent to the mailing address that is in our database.
- Review the application for accuracy.
- Document any changes on the application before returning the renewal application to the Radon Section.
- Ensure that all required documents, signatures, notarizations, and fees are included.
An individual is required to take continuing education for the number of hours shown above depending upon the certification category. Go to continuing education courses to find all approved courses under “Continuing Education for Measurement Recertifications” and “Continuing Education for Mitigation Recertifications.” If a continuing education course is on these NRPP lists, regardless of whether it is on the list for measurement or mitigation, it can be used to fulfill the continuing education requirements for any category of radon professional certification in New Jersey.
A business is required to submit specific documentation with the renewal application. Review the New Jersey regulations for Certification of Radon Testers and Mitigators for certification requirements. Contact the Radon Program at (800) 648-0394 within New Jersey or (609)984-5425 (from outside New Jersey) to obtain further information.